Directed by: Anthony Minghella
Written by: Anthony Minghella, Charles Frazier
Produced by: Albert Berger, Bob Osher, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein, Iain Smith
Other cast: Jude Law, Renée Zellweger, Eileen Atkins, Brendan Gleeson
Release date: December 25, 2003
Genre: Adventure, Drama, History
Running time: 2h 34min
In this classic story of love and devotion set against the backdrop of the American Civil War, a wounded Confederate soldier named W.P. Inman deserts his unit and travels across the South, aiming to return to his young wife, Ada, who he left behind to tend their farm. As Inman makes his perilous journey home, Ada struggles to keep their home intact with the assistance of Ruby, a mysterious drifter sent to help her by a kindly neighbor.
• If hate sends men to war, then it must be love that brings them home.
• Find your way home
• Find the strength. Find the courage. No matter what it takes… find the way home.
• Nicole Kidman did all of her own piano playing.
• Nicole Kidman used an old converted bus once owned by executed Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu as her on-location dressing room.
• Nicole Kidman was asked to lose as much weight as possible. She went on the hard-boiled egg diet, which entailed having one egg for breakfast and two to three for dinner. This type of diet is not advisable in the long run as it is unbalanced, unhealthy and does not provide one with enough calories. In the end Kidman ended up losing more weight than she originally desired.
• If you are fighting, stop fighting. If you are marching, stop marching. Come back to me. Come back to me is my request.
• I can talk about farming in Latin. I can read French. I can lace up a corset, God knows. I can name the principal rivers in Europe, just don’t ask me to name one stream in this county! I can embroider but I can’t darn! I can arrange cut flowers but I can’t grow them! If a thing has a function, if I might *do* something with it, then it wasn’t considered suitable!
• What we have lost will never be returned to us. The land will not heal – too much blood. All we can do is learn from the past and make peace with it.