Directed by: Ron Howard
Written by: Ron Howard, Bob Dolman
Produced by: Ron Howard, Bob Dolman, Brian Grazer, Larry DeWaay, Louisa Velis
Other cast: Tom Cruise, Thomas Gibson, Robert Prosky, Barbara Babcock
Release date: May 22, 1992
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance
Running time: 2h 20min
Joseph and his landlord's daughter, Shannon, travel from Ireland to America in hopes of claiming free land in Oklahoma. The pair get sidetracked in Boston, where Joseph takes up boxing to support himself. When he loses a pivotal fight, the two are left penniless. Now faced with poverty, the two must find new ways to scrape by. As their affection for each other grows, Joseph questions whether he is truly what Shannon needs in her life.
• They needed a country that was big enough for both of their dreams.
• He left behind everything he knew for the only thing he ever wanted.
• What they needed was a country big enough for their dreams.
• Far and Away
• Director Ron Howard wasn’t happy with Nicole Kidman’s facial reaction during the shooting of the scene where her character lifts the bowl covering Joseph’s (her husband Tom Cruise’s) crotch. Without telling Kidman, he asked Cruise to remove his underwear. Howard got the reaction he wanted, and it appears in the film.
• Although dialect coach Tim Monich had over 17 years of experience, this film was the first time that he had to teach his cast to speak in an Irish accent. Technically, Nicole Kidman’s accent is incorrect. As a well-to-do landowner’s daughter in Ireland at the time, she would have spoken with a largely English accent. That probably would have confused international audiences, so she was taught to speak in an educated Dublin accent.
• You’ll never win this duel with Steven. We’ve all seen you handle a gun. Boy, I am giving you your freedom!