Directed by: Baz Luhrmann
Written by: Baz Luhrmann, Craig Pearce
Produced by: Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Knapman, Catherine Martin, Fred Baron, Martin Brown
Other cast: Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh
Release date: June 1, 2001
Genre: Drama, Musical, Romance
Running time: 2h 7min
A young Englishman in the Paris of 1899, becomes infatuated with Satine, a singer at the Moulin Rouge. However, she has been promised by the manager to a Duke in return for funding his next production. As the young lovers meet in secret, Satine's wedding day draws closer but she hides a fatal secret from both Christian and the Duke.
• No Laws. No Limits. One Rule. Never Fall In Love.
• This Story Is About Truth
• This Story Is About Beauty
• This Story Is About Freedom
• Above All Things This Story Is About Love
• Truth – Beauty – Freedom – Love
• Club Moulin Rouge – an experience you won’t forget!
• The show must go on
• The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
• Every man wanted her. But One man dared to love her.
• Believe In Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and above all things, Love.
• This is a story about LOVE, Music is the food of LOVE, Nothing matters but LOVE.
• Come And Get Me Boys!
• This story is about love, overcoming all obstacles.
• He entered in a world where fantasies are real.
• The necklace worn by Nicole Kidman was made of real diamonds and platinum and was the most expensive piece of jewelry ever specifically made for a film. The Stefano Canturi necklace was made with 1,308 diamonds, weighing a total of 134 carats and was worth an estimated U.S. $1 million.
• Filming was halted for two weeks in November 1999 after Nicole Kidman fractured two ribs and injured her knee while rehearsing a dance routine for the film. Many of the scenes where she is seen only from the chest up, including “a real actress,” were shot while she was in a wheelchair.
• During Satine’s trapeze entrance, blue light was used due to Nicole Kidman’s pale skin tone, the director found that the blue light made her almost “glow” and therefore stood out during the scene.
• Nicole Kidman wears a wig throughout the movie.
• Both Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor wore harnesses for the scenes on the elephant as they were standing 60ft off the ground.
• It would often take 20 minutes to lace Nicole Kidman into her corset.
• The blood that Satine (Nicole Kidman) coughs up is really a mixture of red food coloring, corn syrup and water.