Directed by: Alejandro Amenábar
Written by: Alejandro Amenábar
Produced by: Fernando Bovaira, José Luis Cuerda, Sunmin Park
Other cast: Fionnula Flanagan, Christopher Eccleston, Elaine Cassidy, Eric Sykes, Alakina Mann, James Bentley
Release date: August 2, 2001
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Running time: 1h 44min
Grace, the devoutly religious mother of Anne and Nicholas, moves her family to the English coast during World War II. She awaits word on her missing husband while protecting her children from a rare photosensitivity disease that causes the sun to harm them. Anne claims she sees ghosts, Grace initially thinks the new servants are playing tricks but chilling events and visions make her believe something supernatural has occurred.
• Sooner or later she’ll see them, then everything will be different.
• Sometimes the world of the living gets mixed up with the world of the dead.
• Sooner Or Later They Will Find You.
• “No door is to be opened before the previous one is closed”
• How do you keep them out, when they’ve already invited themselves in?
• Do you believe in ghosts ? She didn’t…
• Close Every Door, Turn Off Every Light, And Look For The Others
• Sooner or later they’ll find you.
• Nicole Kidman originally tried to persuade Alejandro Amenábar and the producers to find another actress for the part. Coming off the bright and exuberant Moulin Rouge! (2001), the actress was initially reluctant to do a film that explored such dark places.
• The movie opens with Nicole Kidman, in voiceover, reading a story. She begins with the words, “Now children, are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.” The BBC radio programme “Listen With Mother”, broadcast in the UK between 1950 and 1982, always began, “Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.”
• Nicole Kidman pressed for the hiring of Eric Sykes as Edmund Tuttle as she and her then-husband Tom Cruise had twice been hugely impressed by his theatre work (in “School for Wives” and “Kafka’s Dick”). Sykes was equally effusive in his appreciation of Kidman and her work.
• Nicole Kidman actually quit during rehearsals, as playing Grace gave her nightmares. “At one point I didn’t want to make the film because I couldn’t even go there emotionally.”
• [first line] Now children, are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin… This story started many thousands of years ago, and it was all over in just 7 days. All that long long time ago, none of the things we can see now, the sun, the moon, the stars, the earth, the animals and plants, not a single one existed. Only God existed. And so only he could have created them. And he did.
• I’m beginning to feel totally cut off from the world.
• This house is ours, this house is ours.
• The only thing that moves here is the light, but it changes everything.
• At first I couldn’t understand what the pillows where doing in my hands and why you didn’t move, but then I knew, it had happened, I killed my children. I got the rifle, I put it to my forehead and I pulled the trigger, nothing, and I heard your laughter in the bedroom, you were playing with the pillows as if nothing had happened, and I thought the Lord and his great mercy was giving me another chance, tell them, don’t give up, be strong, be a good mother but now, but now what does this all mean? Where are we?